Skip to main content

We're STILL growing

Welcome back to our garden - here at the foot of the steps of the footbridge over the Long Island Railway, a stone's throw from the Queens Midtown Tunnel.

After a long hiatus, I am returning with an update - the first since October 2010. Just as the garden began to fade into winter, I simply did not have the time to keep up. Now, there are so many things to report since the fall, it will be difficult togegin again.

I'll start here by showing where were were last year at this time. My how we've grown! Then, in the next weeks, I'll go back and pull together some of the highlights in photos from last fall, winter and early spring. It's been such a rewarding project, and our community grows along with it!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Footbridge Garden 2012

Oh, what a journey it's been. In the last post - nearly a year ago - I made a to-do list for this blog. We were so busy watering and pulling weeds, it's taken a back seat. But not the plants. We are proud to be in our  third   year. Yes, we have LOTS of photos to post, however,  it's a problem we all have these days - sufficient time! View from the footbridge looking down, where spare tires were dumped among the liquor bottles. Recapping the season : Many good things, new plants and mega growth - and two bad events. I'll post some pictures here to show how lovely things are in general, and then, a few showing the two downers. This year, no natural wind storms, no drunk garden vandals, but spray from the LIRR weed killers (who did not see our weathered garden signs), and a very sad visit from the DOT, who cut and pulled ALL the sunflowers along the parking side of the footbridge. They should have been heading for the underpass of the LIE. What sho...

Summertime 2018!

Summer 2018 and we're still going strong! With help from the community, we've got lots of new plants, and the familiar and much loved sunflowers are just beginning to blossom! So far, the LIRR has not sprayed (they did extra last year) and the DOT is not working on the bridge right now. Things are changing in the neighborhood, however, and new faces emerge who are interested in the garden, and the new businesses. Check back soon for a compendium of the best photos of the last few years.  If you need to reach the garden hostess, please call: 917-727-7132, and leave a message. Sunflowers are coming.  Now in its 9th year, we're still growing!

Removing Buried Debris

Team Effort One of the Footbridge Garden's friends from across the street offered some unique help when he heard there was a big solid item under the earth where I was digging. "I'll send over two of my strong guys with a pry bar and get it out for you in a few minutes", he said one afternoon as he leaned over the stairs. True to his word, this morning he hastened cheerful workers to the garden, and it didn't even take a minute for them to remove it. It happened so quickly, I was not even able to snap a shot before the buried treasure was taken away. What was it? I think someone tossed some cement construction material there once, and years of other junk and dirt ended up on top, and then the ragweed took hold. But, if the Little Zebra grass and other plants are to go there, then the debris had to be dug up. And - just so you know the division of labor was equitable - the fellow on the left in the photo below removed the big slab of rough concrete, after it was ...